DIrty Shirt Strawberry Cream Crepes
Now that the warmer weather is totally upon us and the season of fresh fruit is upon us, I thought I would introduce my kids to the wonderful world of Crepes. Presentation is everything with my kids so I had to think up something a little bit different when creating these delectable sweet snacks. I used to make dinner napkins into the tuxedo shirt design so I figured, why not make some Dirty Shirt Strawberry Cream Crepes instead? This fun and ingenious way of presenting the Dirty Shirt Strawberry Cream Crepes certainly won a ton favour in my house and had the kids all begging for another dirty shirt. I told you they were Dirty Shirt Crepes right? With just a touch of added icing sugar and cocoa powder, these Dirty Shirt Strawberry Cream Crepes offer an incredible flavour profile that is sure to keep everyone’s aversions at bay. I like to let my crepes cool down a little before actually adding in the cream filling and the strawberries as having little ones dictates that a filling that hasn’t melted yet makes for not only a better taste but, half the clean up. It also helps with handling the crepes while forming the dirty shirts.I used to G.M. a crepe restaurant in Toronto and had the pleasure of creating a ton of different recipes from something very similar to this recipe as well as a ton of savoury crepes and I found that sometimes the simplicity of an already incredible snack with very few additions is the best way to go. Talk about a great grab and go snack for the kids that are never on time and can never seem to remember their heads on the best of days.From the Dirty Shirt to the belly, this crepe is easily rolled up like a taco from the shirt and is essentially mess free for most little hands. Some of my kids would still much rather muck about with their food and dig out all the cream covered strawberries first to you know, make snack time a little more fun and that’s all good with this dad. Knowing that they are going back for seconds and maybe even thirds makes this Dirty Shirt Strawberry Cream Crepe a huge winner in this house as I’m sure it will fast become a winner in your house as well.
Dirty Shirt Ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- 10-12 washed and sliced strawberries
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- icing sugar and cocoa powder for dusting
Dirty Shirt Configuring:
- In a large bowl, whisk all your ingredients together less the icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Let the batter sit for at least 20 mins as it needs a little settling time.
- Heat a medium sized non stick pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tsp butter to pan and make sure to cover the bottom completely.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the centre of the pan and swirl batter around the pan making sure to cover the bottom completely.
- Using a rubber/ wooden spatula, gently release the sides of the crepe and shake to release the middle.
- Flip after about 1 – 1 1/2 minutes and cook the same amount on the other side until lightly golden.
- Remove from pan and continue on.
Dirty Shirt Filling:
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheese
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add all the indredients into a stand mixer bowl and whisk for 3-4 mins until you have a beautiful and creamy filling.
- spread a generous amount of filling in the centre of the crepe leaving about 1 1/2″ around the sides for folding.
- spread your sliced strawberries on top and start shirt making.
- to fold your crepes into a shirt, fold the bottom of the crepe up about 2 inches then fold over one side of the crepe and flip the end back towards the outside to form the lapel. repeat for the other side and give a good pinch to hold down the other lapel.
- Dust with icing sugar and cocoa and you are good to go.
If you ‘re looking for that next awesome breakfast or snack to get your kids knowing that you are magic in the kitchen, then look no further. You are guaranteed to hit superstar status with this easy and kid friendly Dirty Shirt Strawberry Cream Crepe recipe in the blink of an eye. I know my kids were awestruck with these crepes and I’m sure your family will be too. Heck, even your friends will be in wonder about these bad boys. Enjoy your Dirty Shirts now like you never knew you could.