Bacon Wrapped Figs
It’s not very often that there isn’t a pan on the stove frying up some amazing bacon around here. I personally am a huge sucker for anything that has bacon in it. These Bacon Wrapped Figs are not only super easy and incredibly tasty, but a great way to impress your guest for dinner or your kids for an after school snack. My kids won’t eat figs on their own which is beyond my comprehension because a good fig is succulent and sweet. I’m assuming it must be the texture. Wrap some bacon around a fig though, and the gloves come off and all of the sudden the kids are fighting among themselves for the last morsel on the plate.It is quite true that you can pretty much wrap a slice of bacon around anything and you will have a crowd pleasing winner of an appetizer, meal or dessert for the majority of your guests. For those of you that have an aversion to pork? Got you covered too. swap out the real bacon with a higher quality turkey bacon. Either way, these Bacon Wrapped Figs will blow your mind. It’s delectable creations like this that bring me back to when I was just a young lad starting out and exploring my own tastes and flavour profiles.Score a big Hell Yeah for these Bacon Wrapped Figs.
Figs are one of those fruits that really throw a lot of people for a loop. They kinda look like a prune, and have a similar texture too. If you can get past that nasty stigma of the almighty prune and that they are only for the elderly and for babies, then these Bacon Wrapped Figs will be on your menu sooner than you may think. I will admit, I am not a prune fan. Not even wrapped in bacon. I know, I don’t get it either. I had my first experience with figs as a youngster picking them off of the tree itself as my grandparents next door neighbour had quite the extensive garden and boy oh boy, she loved her figs. I always thought that I was stealing the figs when I’d hop the fence and snatch up a few in the early hours of the morning and more often than not in the middle of the night. Apparently I was never really quiet enough as she cornered me one day and told me to quit hopping the fence and if I really wanted figs that bad to use the damn gate.
I am half Italian and half Macedonian so the love of food and pairing of foods runs deep and true in this guy. So why not combine two of my most favourite foods into one glorious bite sized morsel in these phenomenal Bacon Wrapped Figs? I like to think I do it because I can but the reality of it is that my kids deserve to eat healthy foods and to expand their own tastes and flavour profiles too. Even if that means they eat a ton of my childhood favourites and figure it out for themselves. As my grandparents used to do to me, I don’t tell my kids exactly what they are about to be trying. I let these Bacon Wrapped Figs speak for themselves as I know yours will too.
Fig Wrapping 101:
- Half a pound of maple smoked bacon cut in half
- Turkish figs
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
Bacon Wrapping Figs:
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Carefully separate your strips of bacon trying to make sure not to stretch them too much.
- Gently but tightly wrap your fig with the bacon (most off mine were double wrapped as the figs are small).
- Carefully poke your toothpick through the bacon and fig to keep the bacon in place.
- Set your finished figs on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 mins or until the bacon is cook and crispy around the edges.
- Remove from oven and drizzle some maple syrup over the figs.
- Serve Immediately.So let’s talk figs. Whether you are using fresh figs or store bought figs, the end result will be the same. The Maple Syrup is really just an added bonus but if you don’t have any, don’t worry about it. The natural sugars of the fig more than compensate for the lack of the syrup. I am however, adamant that if you’re using the syrup, only use real Maple syrup. There really is no substitute and yes, I’m Canadian so Maple syrup runs through my veins, eh? Enjoy these Bacon Wrapped Figs and may your kids enjoy the flavours of these two phenomenal ingredients that marry flawlessly to create this incredible bite sized wonder.